Ever have those days where you wake up and you’re happy?
Even as you lie there trying to get yourself out of bed you just know it’s going to be a good day?
Yeah you know which ones I’m talking about.
The days that nothing will wipe that smile off your face.
Today was one of those days for me.
I’m not sure why, it just was.
Although I’m not working due to this less than great weather and had nothing much planned it just felt like it was going to be a good day.
And hey, just after breakfast I knew why.
My Mum found out she passed her exam that she has been studying for so much but wasn’t sure she was going to make it.
Congratulations Mami! I am so proud!
Seeing what determination and hard work can achieve is inspiring.
I couldn’t wish for a better role model.
My brother got a letter today saying that he had passed his apprenticeship (Lehr) and is now a certified chef!
And with amazing grades.
So proud of you too Nici!
Now if only you started cooking more at home so I’d know your grades were justified…
Clearly my morning feelings were just foreshadowing how great the day would really be.
After lunch with my Uncle I went food shopping to make a celebratory dinner and dessert.
Let me tell you before you look at the pictures of the cake:
I’m no baker.
As much as I wish I was I just can’t seem to ever get it quite right.
And trust me, I’ve tried.
Still I tried again.
The recipe for this comes from Fork and Flower (check it out – even if only for the photos which are ah-mazing!)
It’s meant to be a sponge cake with buttercream icing.
Mine was a bit crispier on the outside and less fluffy inside.
We called it a cookie cake.
Also I should have followed the instructions and baked the two halves separately, not together and then cut it.
Not my best idea.
Don’t try it.
♦ 330g plain flour, sifted
♦ 320g caster sugar
♦ 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
♦ pinch of salt
♦ 175g unsalted butter at room temperature
♦ 3 medium eggs
♦ 190ml whole milk
♦ 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
♦ Fresh berries – I used strawberries and blueberries
Buttercream icing ingredients:
♦ 100g unsalted butter, softened
♦ 300g icing sugar, sifted
♦ 1 tsp vanilla extract
♦ 75ml double cream
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Beat in the butter until the mixture is crumble like and then add in the eggs.
4. Add milk and vanilla and mix until everything is smooth and well combined.
5. *Important: divide the mixture evenly between two cake tins (make sure to grease them first) and bake between 20-30 min.
6. Cool in the tin for 10 mins before taking it out and cooling it completely on a wire rack.
1. For the icing beat butter for 4-5 min (I cheated and only did about 2 min).
2. Add icing sugar, vanilla extract and milk, and beat for another 2-3 min.
1. Add the buttercream icing to the base layer and add some berries (I saved most for the top).
2. Place the second layer on top, spread on the icing and cover in berries.
Although this cake doesn’t look like it was meant to (especially under the frosting) and it took me waay longer than planned everyone liked it (or so they said!).
And hey it’s the thought that counts right?
Congratulations again to my Mum and brother for passing their exams!
Oh and to top off a good day?
I have pretty awesome family. Never does a meal pass where we’re not laughing until our stomaches hurt.
And for that I am grateful.